Friday, December 14, 2007

Those kinds of friends...

I consider myself to be incredibly blessed in the friend department. I know it is uncommon to maintain close relationships as you move through the various stages of life but I somehow still have a number of wonderful friends from each stage of life... from infancy, elementary school, high school, college, work, church and some random places in between. What an incredible gift! Last night I had the privilege of being with two of my friends from Westmont. I say this over and over, but I can't believe that I only spent one year there. The depth and quality of the relationships formed that year is so amazing to me and here we are 10 years later, at a completely different stage in life, still enjoying each other's company and connecting with each other's souls.

Kurt was going to a photography party up in Santa Barbara and I asked if Cassi, Liv and I could join him for the trip. We sat in horrible LA traffic, and then horrible "overturned big rig" traffic for 3 hours to get there. We dropped Kurt off at the party and then headed over to Liza's house. Liza's husband Dave offered to take care of Liv (in addition to their two kids) so Cassi, Liza and I could have a girls night out. What a guy! We hit up a local Indian restaurant and spent the next few hours enjoying some great food and even better company. I love that there isn't any awkwardness or warming up period with these girls. We laugh as hard and share as deeply as we ever have... maybe even more so because these past 10 years have been full of life - incredible, wonderful things and hard, heartbreaking things - and there is an intimate connection that comes when you honestly share life with others.

We got home at 2 this morning... Liv woke up and was cranky and tired and probably wondered why the heck we had bothered her sleep so much. I hoped she would sleep in this morning but she was up at 7:15. Now I'm tired (and maybe a little cranky) but I would repeat our evening again because when you have those kinds of friends who know you and love you and who you can be completely real with, you don't think twice about traffic and cranky babies. Our time together was worth it.

1 comment:

Timoteo said...

Hey you! So you are a mom... so crazy! I love your pictures, and I love to hear that you have deep relationships that bring you passion and connection. We are good, seeing alot of transformation as we serve him here. It's great to catch up through eachothers blog, say hi to Kurt for me.